Configure SMTP for outbound emails
To configure outbound email, follow these steps:
- Log in to the application as an administrator.
- Select the “Configuration -> Global settings” menu.
- On the resulting page, select the “Email settings” tab.
- Enter details for the SMTP server to be used for outbound email. For example, to configure a Gmail account, you could use the settings shown below. Remember to replace the USERNAME and PASSWORD placeholders with your your Gmail account username and password respectively.
Email Method: SMTP SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com:465 SMTP username: USERNAME@gmail.com SMTP password: PASSWORD SMTP Encription: SSL/TLS
- Click “Save” to make the changes take effect.
To configure the application to use other third-party SMTP services for outgoing email, such as SendGrid, refer to the FAQ.
NOTE: If you are using Gmail as the outbound email server, your application’s attempts to send outgoing emails may be blocked by Gmail if it considers the authentication attempts to be suspicious. When this happens, you will receive a Gmail security alert at the corresponding Gmail address. To proceed, you will need to manually confirm the validity of the authentication attempt before Gmail will permit the application to send outbound emails. For more information on this and other Gmail issues related to outbound email from your application, refer to our Gmail SMTP troubleshooting page.