Configure anti-virus software
Bitnami stacks install a large number of files, since they include all dependencies and servers required for running the bundled Web application. If you are installing a Bitnami application on a Windows machine that has an anti-virus agent enabled, this may slow down the installation significantly, and there is also a chance that some servers (Web server or database server) may be blocked by the anti-virus software.
Take the following steps to run Bitnami applications without anti-virus software conflicts:
Add firewall exceptions
If you have Windows Firewall enabled by default, this alert may appear when the servers are started. The servers require network access if you want to access to the Bitnami application from other computers in your same local network.
If the anti-virus software also has firewall capabilities, check that the default ports for the servers are not blocked. Depending on the Bitnami stack in use, open the correct ports in your firewall. The default ports for the Bitnami stacks are as follows:
- Apache (PHP and Python applications): 80, 443
- MySQL: 3306
- PostgreSQL: 5432
- Apache Tomcat (Java applications): 8080, 8005, 8009
- Thin servers (Ruby On Rails applications): 3001, 3002
- LibreOffice: 8100
- Subversion: 3690
- Apache Solr: 8983
Disable execution scans
If the anti-virus software is set to “scan all files”, executable files for the servers may slow down due to the scanning process. We recommend disabling the scan for executable server files, such as httpd.exe and mysqld.exe.
Disable Web scanning for localhost URLs
Anti-virus software sometimes scans traffic for different URLs. If you are developing with Bitnami stacks on your own machine, exclude localhost traffic from being scanned.
Avast is a popular anti-virus software for Windows. The steps below demonstrate to change its configuration for better performance of the Bitnami servers. Similar configuration changes can be made for other anti-virus systems.
To disable the executable file scan:
- Navigate to “Security panel -> File System Shield -> Settings”.
- Add exclusions for the server executable files. For example, the following screenshot shows how to disable the anti-virus scan for MySQL and Apache servers in the Bitnami WAMP Stack.
To disable Web scanning for localhost URLs:
- Navigate to “Security panel -> Web Shield -> Settings”.
- Add an exclusion for localhost traffic. Add exclusions for other hosts if your application is running on a local network.