Configure SMTP for outbound emails
Before running the commands shown on this page, you should load the Bitnami stack environment by executing the installdir/use_APPNAME script (Linux and MacOS) or by clicking the shortcut in the Start Menu under “Start -> Bitnami APPNAME Stack -> Application console” (Windows). On OS X VMs, the installation directory is /opt/bitnami and OS X VM users can click the “Open Terminal” button to run commands. Learn more about the Bitnami stack environment and about OS X VMs.
To configure outbound email, follow these steps:
- Log in to your server console, ensuring that you activate a secure tunnel for phpMyAdmin.
- Browse to http://127.0.0.1:8888/phpmyadmin respectively.
- Log in with the correct username and password.
- In the left navigation pane, select the bitnami_tiki database.
- In the right content page, select the “SQL” tab.
- Configure outbound email settings using an SQL query like the one below, which configures the system to use Gmail’s SMTP servers. Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Gmail account username and password respectively.
INSERT INTO tiki_preferences (name,value) VALUES ('mail_crlf','CRLF'),('zend_mail_handler','smtp'),('zend_mail_smtp_auth','login'),('zend_mail_smtp_user','USERNAME@gmail.com'),('zend_mail_smtp_pass','PASSWORD'),('zend_mail_smtp_security','ssl'),('zend_mail_smtp_server','smtp.gmail.com'),('zend_mail_smtp_port','465');
- Click “Go” to execute the query.
To configure the application to use other third-party SMTP services for outgoing email, such as SendGrid, refer to the FAQ.