Configure SMTP for outbound emails
To configure outbound email, follow these steps:
- Log in to the application as an administrator.
- Select the “System” menu (cog icon) in the left sidebar.
- In the resulting sub-menu, select the “Settings” menu item.
- Locate your store in the resulting list, then click the pencil icon to edit it.
- On the resulting page, select the “Mail” tab.
- Enter details for the SMTP server to be used for outbound email. For example, to configure a Gmail account, you could use the settings below. Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Gmail account username and password respectively.
- Mail Protocol - SMTP
- Mail Parameters - Your email address with “-f” in front of it (such as -fUSERNAME@gmail.com)
- SMTP Hostname - tls://smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Username - USERNAME@gmail.com
- SMTP Password - PASSWORD
- SMTP Port - 587
- SMTP Timeout - timeout for sending email
- Click the “Save” icon to save the new mail settings.
To configure the application to use other third-party SMTP services for outgoing email, such as SendGrid or Mandrill, refer to the FAQ.
NOTE: If you are using Gmail as the outbound email server and have experienced issues trying to send emails correctly, check the Gmail SMTP troubleshooting page to learn the causes of these issues and how to solve them.