Configure SMTP for outbound emails
- Google Cloud Platform doesn’t allow SMTP traffic through default ports: 25, 465, 587. Check Google cloud documentation to learn how to use a VPN to bypass these restrictions or use a different port for sending emails from your application.
DokuWiki requires the SMTP plugin to send emails through SMTP. Bitnami Dokuwiki already ships this plugin so you only have to configure it.
- Log in to the DokuWiki administration panel as an administrator.
- Select the “Configuration Settings” menu item.
- In the “Notification” section, enter a valid email address for the mailfrom variable.
In the “Smtp” section, enter the SMTP host, port, encryption method and authentication for your SMTP host. If you are configuring the application to send emails through Gmail, you should use the following options. Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Gmail account username and password respectively.
- SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP port: 587
- Encryption: TLS
- SMTP username: USERNAME@gmail.com
- SMTP password: PASSWORD
Click “Save” to save your changes.
You can use the “Check SMTP configuration” menu option to test that your SMTP settings are correct by sending a test email through DokuWiki.
To configure the application to use other third-party SMTP services for outgoing email, such as SendGrid, refer to the FAQ.
NOTE: If you are using Gmail as the outbound email server, your application’s attempts to send outgoing emails may be blocked by Gmail if it considers the authentication attempts to be suspicious. When this happens, you will receive a Gmail security alert at the corresponding Gmail address. To proceed, you will need to manually confirm the validity of the authentication attempt before Gmail will permit the application to send outbound emails. For more information on this and other Gmail issues related to outbound email from your application, refer to our Gmail SMTP troubleshooting page.