Troubleshooting Gmail SMTP issues
If you are using Gmail as the outbound email server and you are not able to send email correctly, Google may be blocking sign-in attempts from your apps or devices. Depending on whether or not you use Google Apps, the steps to correct this will differ.
For Google Apps users
If you are a Google Apps user, you will need your administrator to allow users to change the policy for less secure apps. If you are a Google Apps administrator, follow these steps:
- Browse to the Google Apps administration panel.
- Click on “Security” and then “Basic settings”.
- Look for the section “Less secure apps” and then click on “Go to settings for less secure apps”.
- Select “Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps”.
For other Google users
If you do not use Google Apps, follow the steps in the following sections, depending on whether 2-step verification has been enabled on the account or not.
If 2-step verification has not been enabled on the account, follow these steps:
- Browse to the “Less secure apps” page and log in using the account you are having problems with. This option is typically required by many popular email clients, such as Outlook and Thunderbird, and should not be considered unsafe.
Select the “Turn on” option.
If 2-step verification has been enabled on the account, you have to generate an app password. Follow these steps:
- Browse to the “App passwords” page.
- Click “Select app” and choose the app you’re using.
- Click “Select device” and choose the device you’re using.
- Click the “Generate” button.
- Enter the app password on your device.
- Click the “Done” button.
Then try to login. If you can not access, try the steps below:
Browse to to “Recently used devices” page. You should see an unknown device attempt as below:
Click on “YES, THAT WAS ME”
Now you should be able to login
Here are other options you may try:
- Browse to the web version of Gmail and sign in to your account. Once you’re signed in, try to enable access for the application again.
- Browse to the “Unlock Captcha” function page and sign in with your Gmail username and password.
Disable IMAP from the Gmail web server interface and enable it again.