It is strongly recommended to create a backup before starting the update process. If you have important data, create and restore a backup to ensure that everything works properly.
Upgrading MyBB is usually a simple process, but it depends a lot on what has changed. So, before upgrading MyBB, check MyBB’s official blog which will tell you what kind of changes the new MyBB version implements.
Disable all plugins since some of them may not correctly support the new version of MyBB.
Check which download package to choose:
- If you are one point number below the newest version, you will probably be able to download a changed-files package from MyBB’s website.
- If this is not the case, you will need to download the complete installer (as if you were installing MyBB again).
Upload all files and folders in upload/, including the install/ folder (if it exists).
If the blog post announcement mentions that the upgrade script is required:
- Remove the install/lock file (if it exists).
- Enter your website URL (eg. http://YOUR-DOMAIN.COM/mybb/install), click the “Upgrade” button and follow the steps carefully.
If the blog post announcement mentions that there are theme and/or template changes:
- Enter your Administration Control Panel and go to “Templates and Styles -> Templates -> Find Updated Templates”. It will tell you which templates have changed during the upgrade process.
- These changes can be reverted, which will remove all changes made, or you can see a Diff Report, which will show you what has changed.
If the blog post announcement mentions that there are language changes in the update, and you’ve either modified your English language pack or added a new language pack, we recommend you look at the MyBB “Language Packs” section if there is an update. If there isn’t, take a look at the changes and manually implement them in your packs.
The upgrade process should be complete now. Don’t forget to enable the things you disabled (we recommend doing this one by one) and then check if your forum looks the way it looked before the upgrade process before making it public again.
For more information, follow the official MyBB 1.8 upgrade guide.