Configure SMTP for outbound emails
Follow these steps:
- Log in to the application as an administrator.
- Click the gear icon at the top right of the dashboard, and select the “Configuration” menu item.
- Select the “Email Settings” tab.
- Select your preferred service from the “Service to send mail through” selector.
- Enter the credentials for the selected service. For example, if you’re using Gmail for mail delivery, enter your Gmail username and password. Or, if you’re using a custom SMTP server, enter the server host name, port, encryption type and authentication mode.
Click the “Test connection” and “Send test email” buttons to verify your connection.
To configure the application to use other third-party SMTP services for outgoing email, such as SendGrid, refer to the FAQ.
NOTE: If you are using Gmail as the outbound email server, your application’s attempts to send outgoing emails may be blocked by Gmail if it considers the authentication attempts to be suspicious. When this happens, you will receive a Gmail security alert at the corresponding Gmail address. To proceed, you will need to manually confirm the validity of the authentication attempt before Gmail will permit the application to send outbound emails. For more information on this and other Gmail issues related to outbound email from your application, refer to our Gmail SMTP troubleshooting page.